Print of the former gates to The Woodlands by James Fuller Queen (a Philadelphia lithographer), published by P.S. Duval and Son and used as the frontispiece in 1857 for The Charter, By-laws, and Regulations of the Woodlands Cemetery Company, with a List of Lot Holders.

Print of the former gates to The Woodlands by James Fuller Queen (a Philadelphia lithographer), published by P.S. Duval and Son and used as the frontispiece in 1857 for The Charter, By-laws, and Regulations of the Woodlands Cemetery Company, with a List of Lot Holders.

The Woodlands Cemetery Company

Woodlands Cemetery Company of Philadelphia was founded in 1840 with the stated goal that “the beautiful landscape and scenery of that situation [Hamilton’s estate] may be perpetually preserved,” rescuing the site from imminent industrial use and the later residential development of West Philadelphia’s “streetcar suburb.” Hamilton’s cultivated landscape was transformed into a “rural cemetery,” with winding carriage-ways and highly individualized monuments. Thousands of evergreens were planted among existing species to enhance the setting. Today’s landscape is a virtual arboretum that includes seven aged but magnificent English elms and fifteen trees that qualify for State Champion status.

Woodlands Cemetery became a favorite destination for Victorian outings. Today it continues to be visited as a green space and as a resting place for over 30,000 people, including many of the city and region’s notable families and most accomplished individuals. Among them are architect Paul Philippe Cret (1876-1945), financier Francis Martin Drexel (1792-1863), artist Thomas Eakins (1844-1916), abolitionist Mary Grew (1813-96), surgeon Samuel Gross (1805-84), and Commodore David Porter (1780-1843). To learn more about other well-known individuals and families buried at The Woodlands, visit our Notables page by clicking the image below.


Donate

© 2014 The Woodlands
4000 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104