The Woodlands Trust for Historic Preservation
Facilities and Landscape Manager Job Description
The Woodlands is seeking a full-time Facilities and Landscape Manager, a new position for the organization. The Facilities and Landscape Manager will be part of a team of professional staff, volunteers and board of directors committed to the long-term preservation of The Woodlands 54-acre National Historic Landmark property. Management of capital projects, oversight of a small staff, recruitment and management of volunteers, coordination with program partners, management of event logistics, and oversight of the buildings and grounds, will be key responsibilities. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Responsible for long-term planning and management of the buildings and the landscape at The Woodlands. Evaluates the needs, develops management strategies, prioritizes landscape and facilities projects, and establishes a cohesive stewardship plan.Supervises contractors, part time staff, interns and volunteers on site related projects, to accomplish short-term and long-term goals of The Woodlands.
- Works with the board and key committees to advance organizational priorities regarding the landscape and facilities. Serves as a liaison to the Building and Landscape Committee.
- Serves as The Woodlands representative for The Woodlands Community Garden, University partners, and future site based partnerships.
- Establishes policies and procedures for facilities and landscape management and supports all aspects of the stewardship activities for the landscape and buildings.
- Oversees volunteer plantings and maintenance work-days
- Manages the facilities budget and oversees contracts and purchases for maintenance.
- Directs major capital projects including oversight of construction, ensuring high quality outcomes.
- Leads staff responses to emergency situations and weather related activities, oversees security and risk management procedures.
- Participates in donor cultivation, identification and stewardship and contributes to fundraising efforts and funding applications
- Leads site logistics for events including the annual benefit, festivals, public programs and private rental events.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in historic preservation, architecture, landscape architecture or horticulture.
- Leadership and management experience with a significant historic property, garden, arboretum, cemetery, park, or related institution.
- 3-5 years of landscape management and/or horticultural experience and knowledge of historic buildings and materials. Hands-on experience a must. Knowledge of plant culture and maintenance a plus.
- Experience using power tools and landscape management equipment, and ensuring safe working standards.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and business management including budget and financial skills and demonstrated written communication skills with the ability to prepare high-level reports and other written materials.
- Good written and oral communications skills
- Team player with an interest in leading The Woodlands on establishing the highest standards of facilities and landscape management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD
- Proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move 40 pounds
- Ability to work extended days, holidays, and weekends as necessary
- Valid PA state driver’s license
Expectations for all Woodlands Team Members
- Participate in Woodlands events throughout the year
- Comply with the organization’s policies and procedures
- Promote and apply teamwork skills
- Comply with safety regulations and procedures
- Attend appropriate meetings and training sessions
- Use sustainable practices whenever possible
- Remain current with organization information and changesPromote the work of Woodlands Programs locally, regionally, and nationally.
- ther duties as assigned
The Woodlands offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please. Deadline for application is November 26, 2017. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
The Woodlands Trust for Historic Preservation is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.